Thursday, January 7, 2010

Our first placement...


Our first placement was at the Social Support Center, it's a community project which feeds and shelters around 200 people. Most of these people, were previously living on the street. Some are 60-80 years old while others are young orphan babies and children.

Orientation was great, we had a short language lesson, and talked about some of the individuals
we would be meeting.

"Han is a young mentally disabled girl who loves to hold hands and walk"

As soon as we arrived she made a bee line straight for me, grabbed my hand and took me for a walk, around the courtyard. With Han holding one hand, another friend showed up who we've nick named "Hey Oh" he held my other hand and insisted that I say hey oh, "Hello" to everyone we passed along the way. We ended up walking quite a few laps.

We played games with the other disabled children, Lou was especially cool he is a very smiley and happy wee downs syndrome boy, Lou's 8. So many charters!

During the orientation Miss Huang, asked us to do our best not to form any favourites with the kids. Of course I wont!.. but I do have to mention "Phuc Duc" a chubby little Buddha. he is about 5-6months old he's just gorgeous!.. they were being fed when we arrived, and he had rice coming out of his mouth with his little eyes half shut. I had a moment of panic, cause he looked like he was choking. But "false alarm" the wee man was just falling asleep "food coma".

I'll put some photos up of these guys soon but for now here are a few neat snaps of Vietnam, and one of me and Hey Oh another volunteer took.

No comments:

Post a Comment